For those who use Firefox, Safari, and other browsers, our Bookmarklet provides an easy way to use Hypothesis in the browser of your choice.
If your preferred browser is Chrome (or another Chromium-based browser), please see these instructions for installing the Chrome extension.
For most browsers (except mobile devices)
To install the Hypothesis Bookmarklet, open the browser of your choice and go to web.hypothes.is/start/.
Under Step 2 on the right-hand side, you will see a button that says “Hypothesis Bookmarklet.” Drag and drop the button to your bookmarks bar, or right-click the button and select “bookmark this link” from the context menu.
To start annotating, visit any web page, open your Bookmarks toolbar, and click “Hypothesis Bookmarklet.” The Hypothesis sidebar will appear over the page.
For browsers on mobile devices (including iPads)
To install the Bookmarklet
- In your mobile browser, on any webpage, create a bookmark.
- In your browser settings edit the bookmark.
- Change the name of the bookmarklet to “Hypothesis Bookmarklet”
- Copy the following and paste it into the URL of the bookmark, replacing the site URL already in there:
To use the Bookmarklet
- Navigate to a site you want to annotate.
- In the browser URL bar (not the Bookmark menu) type “Hypothesis Bookmarklet”
- Select the text that appears in the URL bar.
You should remain on the site you want to annotate and the Hypothesis Sidebar will appear!