🇨🇦 Canada Only Guide
This guide is only for Canadian schools who need to comply with Canadian data residency requirements. To view the worldwide version of this guide click here.
Who is this guide for?
- This guide is for administrators who want to install Hypothesis organization-wide in Sakai.
- If you are a Sakai user and do not have administrator access and want to install Hypothesis in a course, please see our Course-level installation guide.
- Are you having trouble getting Hypothesis installed in Sakai? Please contact us!
Before you install Hypothesis you may wish to review the LTI parameters we use. You can find them here.
1. Generate Hypothesis Credentials
These instructions assume that you have already spoken with a member of our Education Team and been provided with a link to the page where you can generate Hypothesis credentials.
If you have not yet received a link, please fill out this form and a someone from our Education Team will get in touch with you about the next steps.
In the form to generate credentials, fill out the following:
- LMS Domain:
- This is the basic web address instructors and students use to access your LMS (e.g., lms.yourschool.edu)
- Can be any valid email address that belongs to you
Note: Ignore the two Canvas-specific fields. Those are relevant only for use in Canvas LMS.
Click the Generate Credentials button.
You will be shown a screen that contains your new Hypothesis Consumer Key and Shared Secret.
Don’t close this tab/window! You will need to copy and paste these credentials later in the install process.
2. Go to your Admin Workspace > External Tools > Install LTI 1.x Tool
3. Add the External Tool settings, including the key and secret
You will be using default settings, unless otherwise indicated.
Fill out the following information:
- Tool Title:
- Button Text:
- Launch URL:
- Launch Key and Launch Secret:
- Paste in the Hypothesis Consumer Key and Shared Secret acquired in step 1
- Privacy Settings:
- Check both boxes
- Check boxes for:
- Allow External Tool to return grades
- Provide Roster to External Tool
- Allow External Tool to store setting data
- Check boxes for:
If you have an option that says Allow External Tool to create grade columns, check that off as well.
The app needs access to the information granted in Privacy Settings and Services in order to create accounts and groups using the LMS roster.
Finally, the Hypothesis integration only works within the Lessons tool. You may also decide to force readings to open in a new window, which is option but tends to provide a better reading environment for students.
- Indicate where these tools are placed in Sakai.:
- Allow the tool to selected from Lessons
- Launch in Popup:
- Always launch in Popup
Click the Save button.
The app will now be successfully installed for your course site. You may wish to consult our help article on Using the Hypothesis LMS App with Lessons in Sakai.