- Add to the conversation by including questions,
examples, connections, or elaboration/explanation
- Highlight central ideas or offer clarification,
extending knowledge beyond restating the text
- Demonstrate reflection and analysis of the text
- Contain additive replies to classmates which answer
their questions or extend their responses
- Meet required number of annotations/replies
|Emerging towards expectations
- Contain incomplete thoughts or connections
without clear examples/explanations
- Restate the text without clarifying/highlighting key
- Contain replies that do not further the conversation
beyond “I agree”
- Less than minimum number of required
- Missing or does not add to the conversation in any
To use this rubric in your course:
● Edit the scoring values to grades that work best for your course.
● Review the criteria for “adding to the conversation”–does this describe what you’d like an
annotation to contain in your course? Revise as needed.
● Revise other criteria as necessary depending on your annotation assignment requirements
(for example, remove the bullet about required number of annotations if a specific number
of annotations is not required in your assignments).
● Add any criteria that assess your assignment instructions which are not included here.