Hypothesis Academy: Social Annotation 101
Upcoming Cohort Information
Register via the form below — enrollment is limited
- Social Annotation 101 Cohort 6: August 1-15, 2023
- Social Annotation 101 Cohort 7: September 19-October 3, 2023
- Social Annotation 101 Cohort 8: November 7-21, 2023
What is Hypothesis Academy: Social Annotation 101?
Hypothesis Academy: Social Annotation 101 is a two-week course designed to teach you not only how to use the Hypothesis tool, but how to design social annotation assignments to best support your students’ learning.
By the end of the course, you’ll have set up a Hypothesis-enabled assignment in your course site, complete with instructions for your students and a grading plan.
If you complete all of the required components of the course, you’ll also receive recognition as a Hypothesis Certified Educator for the course Social Annotation 101. This includes a digital certificate (which can easily be shared to your social media pages or downloaded and saved to a portfolio) and recognition on our website.
- Analyze and discuss the educational benefits of social annotation
- Identify the basic requirements needed to use the Hypothesis tool
- Set up a Hypothesis-enabled assignment in the appropriate LMS and grade the assignment
- Design an activity that uses social annotation with Hypothesis
What do past participants have to say about Hypothesis Academy: Social Annotation 101?
Comments from other participants:
- “It was so very helpful. I came away with so many ideas of how I could use this tool in my course. Each module as well as the educator forum gave me a new idea.”
- “I just found the pacing to be perfect…and the experience of reading and annotating was a real eye-opener for me and has already had a tremendous influence on my teaching this semester.”
- “I love learning about other people’s pedagogical approaches. It’s inspiring, and helps me reflect critically and more effectively on my own teaching.”
How much does it cost?
For all faculty and instructional support at our partner institutions, access to Hypothesis Academy courses are included as part of your subscription. Not sure if you qualify? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I already have experience with Hypothesis?
This course is designed for both new and experienced users. If you’ve used Hypothesis before, you may encounter material you are already familiar with, but you’ll find new tricks and resources available to you. You’ll also gain access to a community of educators from whom you can learn new ideas for using social annotation in teaching.
How is the course structured, and how much time does it take?
The course runs in completely asynchronous cohorts with opportunities for engagement with facilitators and other Hypothesis educators across multiple institutions.
Course content is delivered using the Canvas LMS (although we’ll provide instructions for Hypothesis use in other LMSs). Official course announcements and messages will also be sent via Canvas. The Slack messaging app will be used for community brainstorming and discussion, informal Q&A, and unofficial communication.
The amount of time each participant dedicates to the course depends on their familiarity with Hypothesis as well as their own learning management system (LMS). Each participant can expect to spend approximately 1.5-3 hours per week on the course.