Account Executive (Remote)
Hypothesis is seeking an experienced Account Executive to join our growing team. You’ll help us address the rapidly expanding demand from academic institutions, departments, faculty and students for our digital annotation tool that facilitates close reading and deep discussion in online learning environments.
This is an excellent opportunity for a seasoned rep who wants to get involved early at a rapidly growing, high performing sales organization with ambitious plans to become a major player in the education technology space for many years to come.
About the team
Hypothesis is a small edtech start-up company with financial backing that is ramping up to respond to high demand from stakeholders across the education marketplace. We work with educators, schools, and publishers to bring new, innovative capabilities and workflows over digital content.
We are a diverse, supportive, highly collaborative, 100% remote team of technologists, educators, and entrepreneurs working together to bring new capabilities to the web. We code in the open (our repos are public and liberally licensed) and help drive standards for annotation. Though we operate remotely, we are a close-knit team that communicates via Slack, video chat, GitHub and Google Docs across 8 time zones.
About the role
As an Account Executive, you will own a territory and be responsible for meeting aggressive bi-annual revenue targets. Your persistence and relationship building skills will be critical in acquiring and maintaining business for the company.
You will work closely with other members of the sales, success, and marketing teams to engage with customers throughout their lifecycle, from qualified lead to signed deal to renewal, growing your book of business both through both account acquisition and expansion, and generally contributing to the company’s overall business processes and objectives.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Initiating contact with prospective customers through email and outbound calls
- Leading meetings with key stakeholders, demoing the features and benefits of the tool, and communicating the value proposition
- Negotiating and shepherding contracts to closed deals
- Contributing information to market strategy by monitoring competitive products and feedback from accounts
- Tracking performance toward sales goals using CRM and providing regular progress reports to management
- Engaging deeply and directly with Hypothesis technologies to establish and maintain a working knowledge of the product
- Collaborating with a multi-functional team to generate awareness for the brand and close and support clients
- Coordinating mass outreach campaigns with Inside Sales Rep
- Coordinating expansion campaigns with Customer Success Manager
- Planning and hosting virtual events
- Planning and executing campus visits and conference travel (estimated 10% time)
- This role reports to the Regional Manager, Sales
You believe that sales is really about helping people. Though you are well-spoken and eager to share your thoughts, you are also a good listener and, above all, possess a keen understanding of how to connect with others. You take great satisfaction in working closely with potential customers to identify their challenges and goals, co-create solutions, and ensure mutual success.
Skills and experience you possess:
- Agility to thrive at an early-stage company and within an evolving sales program
- Five to 10 years selling technology into the education marketplace, both to instructors and institutions
- An understanding of the market trends and budgetary processes within the education marketplace
- Demonstrated success in working a sales pipeline to achieve revenue goals
- Understanding of complex buying process and multiplicity of stakeholders in education technology sales
- Ability to speak to a wide range of stakeholders clearly and concisely about a product’s features and benefits
- Excellent communication skills and a high level of comfort making cold calls
- Familiarity with Learning Management Systems
- High fluency in using HubSpot, Salesforce or a comparable CRM to track progress against goals
You will be successful at Hypothesis if you:
- Are passionate about education and learning
- Are a self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Are committed to excellence and improvement
- Are approachable and collaborative and excel at building relationships
- Are proactive and have strong problem-solving skills
- Have previous remote work experience
- Have strong time management skills
- Have a dynamic mindset about your work, allowing for growth and change
- Can communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and customers
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send your resume and a cover letter telling us why you’re a great fit for this role and what about working at Hypothesis appeals to you to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hypothesis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, veteran status, or disability. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.